When involved in litigation where there is the potential for a damages award it’s imperative to have credible and reliable analysis to support a claim.
We prepare financial analysis and expert reports for use in court that demonstrate our opinion of damages clearly and concisely.
We attend court and explain our reports in terms that are intelligible to the lawyers, judges and juries. We stand by our work and we and our work withstand the scrutiny of cross-examination.
An important element of our work is to quantify economic damages. Whether as a result of a breach of contract, negligence, patent infringement, insurance claim, or other cause, it is important to accurately calculate the loss to a business or individual.
DeBresser Wintrip, Inc. has the expertise to assist our clients in a wide variety of situations, including the following:
- Intellectual property disputes
- Class action litigation
- Breach of contract
- Shareholder disputes
- Personal injury
- Insurance claims
Our typical approach to a litigation assignment can be described as follows:
- Meet with the client and counsel to understand the situation at hand.
- Establish the scope and terms of the engagement.
- Develop an approach to damages that is appropriate for the matter.
- Prepare a list of preliminary information required to assess damages.
- Assist counsel in the preparation for Examinations for Discovery.
- Assist counsel in assembling other experts that may assist in the matter such as real estate appraisers, statisticians, industry experts, etc.
- Review and critique opposing expert reports.
- Assist counsel in trying to settle the matter through mediation.
- Quantify economic damages calculations.
- Prepare an expert report on damages.
- If required, attend at trial or other proceedings to communicate our findings.